This article appears on the Basic Skills website. I really like what this man is saying.
*******************************************************************************************************************************
A
special Father's Day sermon titled, "Man of Steel, Becoming a Superman of
God," was presented on Father's Day, June 16 at the Journey Church in
Manhattan, New York. The sermon focus was not just limited to dads.
Mothers and children got their share of the "do something amazing
for God" and God sees the "potential in you" message. Of
course, there were the four steps or actions needed to make this happen in the
lives of the listeners, accompanied by an "encouragement" for all in
attendance to examine themselves to see how well they were doing in each area.
That's not a message I want my children to hear.
So,
what is the message I want my children to hear? I'd like them to hear
that the outcome of their life is a simple one: to love God and their neighbor.
I'd like them to hear that when they find themselves unable to pull that
off, there's a solution-grace, faith, repentance, and forgiveness.
Among
the 20 plus students who were present for the NCCA graduation ceremony was a
merit scholar, at least one "super senior," (a student who took five
years to complete our graduation requirements), and a young person with Down
Syndrome. All of these young adults are remarkably different. This being
the truth, their life trajectories will be different.
To put the same
pressure and the same expectations on each of them would be ridiculous. To tell
them they are to be awesome, extraordinary, and that they are the generation
God has raised up to "make a difference in the world" is a pressure
cooker for which we can expect to see a number burnout sooner or later.
I'd
like my children to hear that it's okay "to make it your ambition to lead
a quiet life: You should mind your own business and work with your hands, just
as we told you-- 1st Thessalonians 4:11.
I'd
like my children to understand that the Biblical concept of vocation means that
they can serve God in any sphere of life, that no job or activity is to be
considered trivial or unimportant.
What
would this mean if we embraced this change of perspective? It would mean
rest for both us and our children.
Rest from the implication that in
order to be world changers for Jesus, we must be "relentlessly pursuing
Him (Jesus) for the rest of our lives" as one national conference directed
toward our youth is promoting this year. Rest from the guilt of wondering
if we're doing enough, pursuing Him enough, praying enough, reading our Bible
enough, improving enough, etc.
So,
what might this life of rest look like? In my next article I'll be
posting a short reflection on this theme from one of my favorite bloggers,
Michael Mercer.
Thanks
for reading!
Curt
*****************************************************************************************************************************
No comments:
Post a Comment