Wednesday, February 3, 2010

The Spanish Inquisition

Yesterday, Lil Guhl and I did our monthly volunteering at our parish St. Vincent de Paul food bank.  A group of Hispanic women came in to pick up their food boxes, and I called one of them, "Senora."  Lil Guhl heard me say this and right away, after the women left, she asked, "What did you say to that lady?  I heard you say something."  I told her that I called the lady Senora.  She has been captivated ever since and I told her some words that I know in Spanish (from my one year of Spanish in high school) and now she is writing spanish words on notecards.

I think I might like to purchase some sort of spanish curriculum while her interest is high.  Any recommendations for an easy to use, affordable (Rosetta Stone is not in the budget right now) curriculum for a nine year old girl??

2 comments:

elm said...

There is a "fun" kind of younger-ish Spanish box that we have (for 4-8 I think) called Learn Spanish Together and it has cards with the words and pictures along with a bunch of other fun activities. We like it quite a bit and it feels like a game mostly - or fun to do, anyway! There is always "Rapanese" in Spanish - learning it set to music. My kids seem to like to learn Spanish set to music best. We actually bought one CD from the Dollar Tree and it is played over and over in the car. So, they are learning some that way. I think that we might have one other Spanish ditty, but I cannot recall... must NOT be too much fun!

Angela said...

Thanks Erica! I will look into that.