We have had some hummingbird feeders hanging around our house for several months, but really haven't seen a lot of activity. Sometime around our big snowstorm a few weeks ago, we actually took them down (I don't recall why, but maybe it's because we thought there were no hummingbirds). Anyways, our parish priest was commenting on how he had made sure to fill his hummingbird feeder during the snowstorm because the hummingbirds would surely need them. I said, "You have hummingbirds this time of year?" He said that he has them all year. So not but a day or two later, lo and behold we saw a hummingbird come to where our feeder had been, looking for it! So we filled both hummingbird feeders right away, and we have seen more hummingbirds in the past few weeks than I think I have seen in my entire life!It's been really cool.
Just the other day, my husband and I were standing in the garage with the big garage door open, having a conversation, and we kept hearing this weird, squeaky, bird chirping sound. It was very distinct and different and so we started looking up into the tree in front of our house and we spied a little hummingbird sitting up there making that noise. One of our hummingbird feeders is hanging in our entryway alcove, near the garage. It was like he was yelling at us to go away because he wanted to come eat! So we backed into the garage, but to a spot where we could still see the feeder, and within a minute, there he was getting a drink out of the feeder.
Amazing!
Amazing!
Today, I heard that squeaky little sound again as I was out front doing some yardwork; I couldn't find the hummingbird, but that chirp is unmistakeable. I went in the house quickly and got the camera. I 'hid' in the garage again, and managed to finally get a shot of our little hummingbird as soon as he came to drink. This isn't the best shot (we don't have a big high-powered camera, just our little Kodak; plus these little birds are so fast). I think there is more than one hummingbird coming to the feeders, because this one was mostly brown and black. Another one that came this morning had a red head. We have really enjoyed seeing them and they are so fascinating to watch.
1 comment:
In the winter season many hummingbirds are looking for a dependable food source so why not prodvide it for them.
If you are worried about the nectar solution in your feeders freezing, then change the ratio used to make your nectar solution to 3:1. Doing so will help to retard the freezing process as well as providing the birds with an extra boost of nurshishment. This is sure to serve them will on their migratory journey.
If you would like much more information about hummingbirds, please click the links below. The sites contain many articles about hummingbirds, video clips about hummingbirds, an informative tips booklet on hummingbirds, and much more.
Click Here To Visit About Hummingbirds
Hummingbirds For Mom
Post a Comment