Lil Guhl has been marking their wings with Sharpies. She came up with this idea all on her own. She has been putting a different, small mark on each one (some have dots, some have x's, and they are different colors), and she writes it down in her little notebook each time she marks a butterfly and with what mark. So far she has marked 6 different butterflies.
As of today, she has re-caught all but one of the butterflies. I told her to make sure she writes down the day she marks the butterflies, and the day that she sees them again. She is also writing down what they are doing and where they are when she sees them. They seem to hang around our garden a lot. Today she re-caught a butterfly that she marked three days ago. She is surprised to see that the marks don't distort or go away over time (so far).
Now we need to go figure out if these little white fluttery things are butterflies or moths.
Who says you need a textbook for science? (Jennifer, I know it is not you!)
1 comment:
How cool!!! I love it.
Post a Comment