Monday, November 8, 2010

Veteran's Day - Movie Recommendation

Thursday is Veteran's Day.  I have had the movie "Taking Chance" sitting here for a couple of weeks, and finally got around to watching it last night.  It was so very moving and I would strongly encourage you to watch it if you can.  I don't think very many of us realize the beauty and dignity with which our fallen servicemen and women are treated on their final journey home.

Based on an article by Marine Lt. Col. Michael Strobl, this HBO original film tells the story of Strobl's emotional experience traveling across America as a volunteer escort officer for the body of fallen 19-year-old marine Chance Phelps. Along the 2004 journey to Phelps' hometown in Wyoming, Strobl (portrayed by Golden Globe winner Kevin Bacon) witnesses -- and is moved by -- acts of respect by everyday Americans.


I am a United States Navy veteran, yet I have never known or witnessed the process of escorting the remains of fallen soldiers.  But I am so very proud of our military in the honor and respect that is shown to these people who have given their lives in defense of our country.  May they rest in peace.

No comments: