Thursday, June 11, 2009

News Flash!


We no longer have "clandestine" chickens!

This was the adjective used by our mayor to describe the chickens who have been living "illegally" within the city limits. As of Monday evening, our city council passed an ordinance making chickens legal in our city. This is great news for us and the girls. They can now come out of hiding.

The ordinance actually permits more chickens than I expected. We can have up to 4 on a 5,000 square foot lot, and 1 additional chicken for every additional 2,000 square feet. We have an 11,000 square foot lot, so we could have up to 7 chickens! That sounds like a lot to me, and we don't really have room for 7 (we currently have 4) without "remodeling" the coop. But Lil Guhl wants a bantam hen, so we might have to think about that for next year.

4 comments:

Kim said...

What kind are your 4? That's exactly how many we plan to get. We're thinking leghorn.
Good for your mayor!

Angela said...

Kim,
We have a white Ameracauna, a buff Orpington, a golden Sexlink and a Barred Plymouth Rock.

kim said...

Do you have a favorite laying hen? I was going to get mine this weekend, but my local farm expert told me it's best to wait until fall, so I'm determining if I should get all of one kind in the meantime. Never heard of the Sexlink...

Angela said...

Hi Kim,
I would have to say that my sexlink is probably my best layer. The sexlink is a cross between a rhode island red and a rhode island white. I know "rhodes" are good layers like leghorns.

Let me know what you end up getting!

~Angela