Friday, August 21, 2009

Signs of School

I thought I would post a few pictures of our "school area" since I have made a couple of changes and spruced things up a bit. We don't have a classroom space in our home so we use the dining room table. We also don't have an eat-in kitchen, so the dining room table is it, and this does present challenges some days as I have to clear books whenever we eat.

Anyways, this first picture is on one side of the dining room entrance. The table is to my back as I take the picture. The small little table is an addition to this school corner and I look forward to using it for a variety of things: liturgical celebration displays, etc. Underneath is our basket of library books. The white board sits on a stool because there is a pocket door behind that wall, and that presents a challenge for nailing/screwing it to the wall. Also, this way I can put it all away if I am tired of looking at school stuff.


This is opposite the white board on the other side of the pocket doorway. This is where we keep all of my books (teacher manuals, etc), markers, colored pencils, glue, manipulatives, etc. I have another shelf that sits on top of this one, but I really like this being short as then I can use the wall space above it.

This next picture is where Lil Guhl sits and does her schoolwork (the dining room table is to the left). We just got this chair at IKEA and she is super excited now about this little "work spot just like Mom & Dad's." Boyson sits at the dining room table.

All of our textbooks are now across the room on new bookshelves. One shelf for Boyson and one shelf for Lil Guhl.

So there you have it. I have dreamed of having a schoolroom for many years, but it won't be happening in this 15oo square foot house. So I am blooming where I am planted and working it in with the rest of the decor.

Let the countdown to school begin!

No comments: