Friday, December 3, 2010

Novena to Our Lady of Guadalupe

On Saturday, December 9, 1531, the Blessed Virgin appeared to a poor peasant, Juan Diego, on his way down Tepeyac hill to hear Mass in Mexico City. The Blessed Virgin told Juan Diego to go to Bishop Zumárraga to ask him to build a church for her where she appeared. The bishop asked Juan to ask the Lady for a sign.

On December 12 on his way to the convent to get a priest for his uncle who was dying, the Blessed Virgin who called herself Holy Mary of Guadalupe appeared again. Juan Diego told the Virgin about his uncle whom she instantly cured. Juan Diego told the Blessed Virgin that the bishop asked for a sign. She told him to go up to the rocks and gather roses. He found the roses where the Blessed Virgin said and he gathered them on to his long cactus-fiber cloak called tilma.

The Holy Mother rearranged the roses. She told him not to touch them and to go back to the bishop. Upon arriving Juan showed Zumárraga the roses. As he unfolded his cloak the roses fell out. The bishop and his attendants knelt before him. On his tilma the life size figure of the Virgin Mother, just as he had described her, was glowing!

A great mural decoration in the renovated basilica commemorates the scene. The picture was venerated, guarded in the bishop's chapel. The Our Lady of Guadalupe is the national patron of the Americas and the feast day is December 12. 

Will you pray the novena with me?  Begin your novena today, Friday, December 3, and end on the eve of her Feast Day.
***********************************************************
Our Lady of Guadalupe,
According to your message in Mexico
I venerate you as "the Virgin Mother
Of the true God for whom we live,
The Creator of all the world,
Maker of heaven and earth."
In spirit I kneel before your most holy Image
Which you miraculously imprinted
Upon the cloak of the Indian Juan Diego,
And with the faith
Of the countless numbers of pilgrims
Who visit your shrine,
I beg you for this favor:
To be a generous, self-sacrificing,
Faithful Marian Catechist all the days of my life.

Remember, O Immaculate Virgin,
The words you spoke to your devout client,
"I am a merciful Mother to you
And to all your people
Who love me and trust in me And invoke my help.
I listen to their lamentations and solace
All their sorrows and their sufferings."

I beg you to be a merciful Mother to me,
Because I sincerely love you and trust in you
And invoke your help.
I entreat you, Our Lady of Guadalupe,
To grant my request,
If this should be the Will of God,
In order that I may
"Bear witness to your love, your compassion,
Your help and protection."
Do not forsake me in my needs. Amen.
Our Lady of Guadalupe, pray for us. Hail Mary . . . (3 times)

This novena prayer, written by Rev. Lawrence G. Lovasik, S.V.D., is approved by Bishop Burke for use preceding Consecration / Renewal.

First Day
Dearest Lady of Guadalupe,
Fruitful Mother of holiness,
Teach me your ways
Of gentleness and strength.
Hear my humble prayer
Offered with heartfelt confidence
To beg this favor (State your petition). 

Our Father, Hail Mary, Glory.


No comments: