Friday, February 6, 2009

Did Penny Finally Lay an Egg?

We have four chickens in our backyard. They are my 'girls' and I love them. We have had chickens for three years now.

Meet Penny.

She is a buff Orpington (buff is her color, Orpington is her breed). She is my pride and joy, but she doesn't lay eggs. She is two years old this spring, so she is well past her due date to lay (chickens begin to lay eggs at about 20 weeks of age).
Most days we get three eggs; we have never gotten four in one day. This baffled me for the quite some time, and after awhile we were able to identify the culprit (Penny). She sits in the nest box often, but never lays an egg (we know this because we have gone out there right after she comes out of the box and there is nothing there).

Today when the kids checked for eggs, there was a very small egg in the nest box that Penny always sits in. The first few eggs that a hen lays are always very small, and become bigger over the first weeks of laying. I suspect that this is Penny's first egg (albeit VERY late). Let's hope she keeps it up, because so far she is nothing but a beautiful moocher. I photographed it next to a quarter so you can get an idea of the size of this egg.

Maybe there's a "four egg day" somewhere in the near future. I've been waiting for a "four egg day" for two years. You can bet that if there's a "four egg day" you're gonna hear about it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice story. I went to the CatholicTV link too and it's looks very official over there. I guess you've reached the Blogger Bigtime now. I hope you still have time for me.

Daren