Monday, January 25, 2010

Curriculum Recommendation - All About Spelling

Not very long ago, I posted a mid-year school evaluation.  In that post I mentioned a spelling curriculum called "All About Spelling." 

It's different than any other spelling program out there! My favorite things about it:

-- The program is multisensory, approaching spelling through sight,  sound, and touch
-- The lesson plans are easy to use and leave nothing out
-- It works!
-- It's affordable!


The reason I am bringing it up again is because I just ordered Level 4.  I am sold on this program, which is working especially well for my son (age 11) who has had difficulty spelling.  I see him now working with certain words and knowing they aren't spelled right, and he has tools to use to help him to spell words correctly.

I started both of my kids (ages 9 & 11) in the fall of 2009 at Level 1 so that they could learn the phonograms (something we had not 'officially' done).  At these ages, we worked through Level 1 and 2 very fast.  We might have been able to skip Level 1, but I thought it very important for my son to learn that different letters and letter combinations can make multiple sounds.  That seemed like something he missed. We no longer do weekly spelling lists and tests, but have a continual daily review of spelling words through this program.

My nine year old daughter has especially enjoyed the "Writing Station" that begins late in Level 3.  Five words are given (this is part of the review) and she has to form original sentences from these five words.  I write sentences too, and then we compare our sentences.  It can be a competition to see who can be more silly with their words.


Please take a minute to check out the program here:



There are sample lessons for each level at the website, so make sure you take a look at those.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

1 comment:

Jessica Gordon said...

This program looks really great Angela! We've been using Spelling FYC and the only reason my boys are doing "okay" with it is because of the foundation they were given by the tutor I had last year. I am not happy with Seton's spelling... I switched my oldest back to Building Spelling Skills, which he was using with the tutor (in addition to the lessons, tiles, etc that she had been using with him), but this program sounds perfect! I am going to have to look into it further.

How long do you spend on it each day?