Thursday, April 14, 2011

The Great Syrup Bottle Debate

For several weeks now, I have been indulging my kids in these waffles for breakfast (most mornings).  Boyson literally begs for them, and will eat about 10!

Anyways, I have also been preparing the delicious cinnamon syrup that goes with them.  After cooking the syrup, I have been pouring it into a glass measuring cup for use at the table (since I don't have a cute little syrup bottle).  Then I would cover the measuring cup with some plastic wrap (messy!) to put it in the fridge.   So I have been on the lookout for a syrup bottle.  I have checked a couple of antique stores and while I found some very cute pitchers, but none of them had a lid.  I found a syrup bottle (pictured below on the left) at our local Bi-Mart store yesterday, and then found another one (on the right) at Goodwill later that same day.

The one I found at Goodwill is definitely bigger and will hold an entire batch of syrup, and then some. A definite bonus.  I actually made up a batch of syrup just to see if it would fit.  I like it that it has a "Grandma's House" sort of a look to it.  The Bi-Mart one looks more institutional to me, and of course, it is smaller.  I don't think I could get an entire batch of syrup in there.  But the kids like the smaller one.  They like the shiny lid better and the cute little 'sliding door' spout.  The Goodwill bottle was $1.99 and the Bi-Mart bottle was $5- something.

Which syrup bottle do you like??

2 comments:

elm said...

Well, on first glance, I prefer the one from Bi-Mart with the shiny lid. BUT in reading about them... I do NOT like that there is a SLIDING door type contraption on top. As it gets sticky, it will be hard to slide!! I like the goodwill bottle for its size and for the push button/lever syrup release. I actually like the more pitcher shape, too. Hmmm... the more I look, the more I like the Goodwill bottle. But, I had to look a while!! :) Happy waffling!

admin said...

I like the Goodwill bottle (retro--cool!) and Bunny likes the glass Bi-Mart one...so our votes cancel each other's out I guess. Both are good choices! (btw we love the candy dish, we will have to make one of our own sometime)--Becky